Jump to: Overview | Call for Artists | Call for Workshops | Call for Makers | Business Sponsorships
The Lowell Art & Maker Festival is a new festival happening in downtown Lowell on September 16-17, 2017. During this two day celebration of the arts, visitors can expect to see:
- Visual artists showcasing and selling their work
- Makers from around the region demonstrating their skills and products at a maker fest
- Live theater
- Music performances
- Community public art project in which visitors can actively participate in creating a work of temporary public art
- Walking tours of Lowell's public art installations
- Walking tours of Lowell's dance history
- Authors' corner, with readings from works of our region's authors
- ...and so much more!
As part of the festival, the Cultural Organization of Lowell (COOL) will hire two artists to each create a temporary piece of art that will rotate through the city's neighborhoods. Each artist's piece will be unveiled during the festival - one on Saturday and one on Sunday.
Artists will be chosen by the Art Committee. COOL and the Art Committee have set aside $3000 total to be paid for the two art installations.
Public Art Guidelines:
- The artwork cannot be painted directly onto any building within the Historic District.
- Appropriate materials should be used to withstand all manner of New England weather. The piece will be in use for approximately 2 years.
- The piece will be moved and reinstalled more than once. It should be easy to relocate and install.
- Each artist will be paid, upon completion of the work, the negotiated amount between COOL and the Artist.
- Once brought to the festival, the artwork remains property of COOL.
- Artist design remains under the copyright of the artist. Without limitation, COOL shall have an irrevocable royalty-free license to use for any purpose items developed or made part of the art installation which may be subject to copyright, patent, or other intellectual property laws or as to which the artist and any subcontractors may assert any rights or establish any claim under such laws.
- EXTENDED! Deadline for submissions is April 30, 2017 at 5pm.
- Submissions can be sent through the electronic form below (preferred), via email, or via hard copy (download here).
- Submissions must include:
- A cover letter, including description and concept drawings of the proposed art installation.
- A portfolio of previous work completed that is similar to the proposed art piece.
- A fee schedule including design fee, materials, fabrication, transportation, and installation costs. Fees must not exceed $1500.
- A description of any specialized maintenance requirements.
Please contact COOL with any questions - email@example.com, or 978-455-7652.