COOL Cultural Organization of Lowell

Cool Resources

One-Day Liquors License for Galleries & Museums


Certified galleries and museums in the City of Lowell may obtain a Special One-Day Liquor License to serve beer & wine for a discounted rate of $10. The rate and regulations were specifically created for artist receptions, exhibit or gallery openings, and other special arts-related events, per the Regulations document below.

"Certified" galleries and museums refer to those entities which have as their primary mission the presentation and/or sale of artwork or non-commercial artistic activity. A certification letter can be obtained from the CASE office at City Hall and should be submitted to the License Commission along with your permit application.

Obtaining a One-Day Liquor License
To obtain a Special One-Day Liquor License to serve beer & wine for your gallery or museum, please:

  1. Read the Regulations document below.
  2. Print out the Permit form and bring it to the Law Department at Lowell City Hall, 375 Merrimack Street, 3rd Floor, at least one month prior to your event (multiple applications may be filled at one time).Be sure to bring your certification letter from CASE.
  3. Find out the next meeting of the License Commission* and schedule your appearance.

Regulations & Permit Form 

License Commission policy: An individual, a corporate officer, a manager of record or any other person who will be directly responsible for the business, entertainment, or special event for which a license is requested shall be required to appear at a meeting of the Lowell License Commission when said licensing board is scheduled to review the application filed by or on behalf of an individual, corporation, partnership, club, or association.

* License Commission meetings take place on the FIRST and THIRD Thursdays of the month at 6:30PM at Lowell City Hall Council Chambers, 2nd Floor.

There may be additional permits you need for your event!
For more information on City permits for events, read the Guide to Obtaining Permits for Special Events and Festivals

If you have any questions, please contact the CASE office at 978-674-4260.  

Our Sponsors